Thursday, October 20, 2011

Nearing the End…

 

Well, our 32 week check up went pretty much super frustratingly horrible today.

The good news – Rowan is growing like a champ measuring right around the end of 34 weeks the beginning of 35 and weighing right about 4 lbs. 14 oz., which is wonderful.

However -

My fluid level is high normal, which doesn’t mean anything yet, but they have to keep an eye on it.

My placenta, however, is aging too quickly.  It looks much more mature than it should at 32 weeks, so now I have to go in for NSTs (non-stress tests) once a week as well as ultrasounds each week to make sure it is still safe for him to be in utero.  They are also checking with the high risk OBGYN to see if he needs to be seeing me to do advanced monitoring as well.  Too mature a placenta can mean bad things quickly – but we aren’t in the danger zone yet.  We should have a least a little bit of warning if it becomes life threatening for him.

That said, I am pretty much done with bad news.  This is the absolute last of it anyone is allowed to give me.

As of right now, the labor bag is packed.  Any doctor visit could easily turn into “go to the hospital now”.  I could also be looking at having an amnio again to check on how developed his lungs are…which just adds to all the things I get to have nightmares about right now.

I doubt there is any way he will make it to full term, which sucks because that would really have been helpful for him.

So now I have to take it super easy, get things ready at work in case I have to leave earlier than I’d hoped, and try to will my body to hold on as long as possible.

He’s strong.  He’s growing well.  He is a fighter and will keep fighting, even if his circumstances are not what we most desire, he’s just going to have to suck it up and deal with it.

Just like me.

So trying to spin things positively – we are monitoring him closely to be safe and give him the best chance possible.  I may not have to wait as long to know what we are dealing with.  The insurance company approved my delivery at St. Francis…but in their letter gave the address of the St. Francis in Columbus, OH…so that’s another phone call but it can be fixed easily.  AND he is almost 5 pounds – which means he will fit into newborn clothes and not preemie clothes even if he gets here early.

1 comment:

  1. One day, bad news will no longer exist...at least, I hope. Rowan is going to fight, because he's your son. Like you said, he's strong just like you. I love you, Michelle, and I love your family. I will think nothing but positive thoughts for your beautiful tribe!

    ReplyDelete