Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Coping with a Kid

Original Post Date – July 25, 2011

Children are highly intuitive.  This is one of the hardest things for me right now about being a mom.  I am feeling much more optimistic about Rowan’s future and the future of our family.  However, there are still times where I feel so overwhelmed I can hardly keep it together. 

Reading a book with Little Bird where she points at the baby on the page, and then points at my tummy and says “BABY!”

Seeing Rowan’s clothes in a box in our room.

I just get teary – and when I’m alone with Little Bird, me being upset translates to her being extremely unsure of her environment. She cries more, feels less comfortable being in a different room than me, wants me to hold her more often (which is not okay for me to do anymore).

I keep reminding myself that I have to stay calm for her.  I don’t ever want to make a child deal with adult problems.  This is something she will have to deal with when Rowan arrives and should not have to deal with it now.

So -

I’m cutting myself some slack.  We’ve been cuddling up watching movies together.  We take our time getting things done right now and try not to be in a rush so that I don’t get stressed.  If I do get upset, I tell her “Mommy is sad today, but it’s okay to be sad sometimes.  Let’s go get a drink/build some blocks/sing a song to help us not be sad.”  I’m putting less pressure on myself to be supermom in the next few days, and just letting myself be “mom”.

No comments:

Post a Comment