Tuesday, August 30, 2011

A Phone Call

I was very excited today to get a phone call from Susan of Mended Little Hearts, Tulsa Chapter. 

She called to talk with me and get to know me a bit as well as to invite me to one of the upcoming meetings.  I was so surprised how easy it was to talk to her.  Something about knowing that I am talking to someone who has already walked in my shoes and is several years further down the path than I am was incredible.  She assured me that if we wanted her there when he was born, or for his surgeries, or just a visit in the hospital while we were there – that I would never feel alone.  There would always be someone who completely understood right there for us. I’d been a bit skeptical about joining any sort of support group – but this group is more than just support.  They promote Congenital Heart Defect awareness and they educate each other.  There are also several dads and grandparents in the group.

My husband is on call for their upcoming September meeting, so I will be going it alone.  They have informational speakers at each meeting as well as some time to get to know other members.  A lot of people bring their children and there are a few women that play with and watch them during the sessions.  While I’m excited to meet the other parents and learn more ways to help my son, I am extremely excited to see little children with heart defects who have celebrated birthdays.

Every triumph story has made such a difference for me, but seeing triumphant stories running around – that could be incredible.

No comments:

Post a Comment