Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Using My Resources

So yesterday I called our cardiology office and asked to speak with our doctor’s nurse.  She is amazing.  I apologized for calling what feels like every other day and she immediately encouraged me to call EVERY day if I need to.  We talked a little about what Rowan had been looking like…

hanging low in the 70s when he is awake…

oxygen not really helping that much….

sleepier….

Our cardiologist was going to be in the Cath lab all day today, so she told me to just bring Rowan in to see her.  She said she’d check him out for me.

So I take Rowan in along with our home pulse ox machine (so we can make sure it’s reading accurately).  Rowan’s blood pressure is fine and he is SATing great.  She watches him for a while and tells me to keep up with the extra 1/2 dose of lasix to keep fluid off of him and that he looks great!

Rowan has been more alert today.  With his blood pressure being fine, we aren’t worried his prior sleepiness was heart related.  The lasix seem to have helped so I’m optimistic that we have a few days before he acts weird again.

It was great to have someone check him out for me.  As tired as I am, I don’t want to miss something or not be cautious enough because I think he is probably okay.  The nurse made sure to let me know that I could bring him in anytime if I just needed eyes on him.

She also gave me a hug…and I needed it.  This is easily the scariest thing I have ever done.  It’s nice to be reminded that I have help.

1 comment:

  1. It's nurses like that that just remind you that you'll never be alone. The right help is out there. I'm so glad you have such an amazing support team, because that will give you and Rowan the best chances possible. I'm gonna wipe up my tears now :)

    ReplyDelete