Saturday, July 28, 2012

What to Say or Do…

Rowan’s light left his body early this morning at around 12:30. I will be posting about his last day of life and how incredibly “Rowan” it was later.

We are still deciding how to best gather and reflect and celebrate our beautiful gift, but details will be posted here and on Facebook and through mass text once we have any.

In the meantime,

I know that when things this big happen in life, people are often at a loss.  They don’t know what to say or what to do.

Let me first assure you, that if you say the wrong thing, we will just laugh about it later(probably when you aren’t around). We know you are trying to help and have good intentions. You aren’t going to make us hate you. Just talk to us. Tell us the truth and try to avoid clichés if at all possible (though we understand sometimes they just come out).

Bear in mind, we have had the last year to grieve.  We have travelled this road for a while and managed to come to a place of peace that we realize many might not be at yet. We know that many of our friends and family are experiencing emotions we felt very early on.  We understand sadness or difficulty understanding how this happened. However, we may not be the best people to discuss that with right now.

As far as what to do, here are some things we thought we could mention:

DO donate money to the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation, Mighty Oakes Heart Foundation, Mended Little Hearts of Tulsa, or any other organization that supports parents or children like Rowan instead of sending flowers.  (See blog post for link).

DO talk to us about normal things. News, movies, stupid internet videos, etc.

DO invite us out.  We’ve been “in” for a long time. I promise that if we don’t feel like we can handle being “out” we will gratefully decline, but please keep inviting us.

DO talk about Rowan. He was real. We think about him all the time.  We don’t have to avoid him. It is really okay to talk about.

DO smile, laugh, tell jokes, and be yourself around us.

DO give us the grace of forgiveness if we aren’t “ourselves” for a while.  We are rusty at being “normal” but we’ll get back there.

DO keep the texts coming.  Let us know when you are thinking about us. It is nice to know, even if we don’t get a chance to respond.

DO let us know if our story has changed you.  Things like “Because of Rowan, I now…” are wonderful things to share with us.  We love knowing that he reached and changed people. We know how special he is, and love hearing about it. BETTER YET! Write it down! Give us something to read when we miss him to remind us that he lives on in not just our hearts, but in yours as well.

 

And because people are so worried about saying or doing “the wrong thing” here are a few things that we know will not be helpful for us.

DON’T tell us how sorry you are for us.  We aren’t sorry for us. We truly feel joyful that we had a wonderful 7 months with our son. We aren’t sorry that we had our beautiful son in our lives. It’s okay to be sad that he is gone, but not sorry that we had him.  It’s a fine line, but one that for us shows a great deal of respect towards our son.

DON’T talk without listening. Many people have tried to tell us not to be afraid or not to be angry or tried to assure us that their faith is the right one and if we trusted it we’d find peace.  We aren’t afraid. We aren’t angry. We are very much at peace. Many have assumed that we hold the same beliefs they do which is awkward and uncomfortable for us. Make sure that if you are attempting to comfort us, you aren’t truly comforting yourself. And to be honest, the best thing you can do is listen.

DON’T tell us (or others) how we feel or how we must feel. We all experience death differently, so it is much kinder that you ask us and take our lead. Doc is experiencing this differently than I am.  So no one has truly been in our shoes even if they have experienced something similar.

DON’T tell our story as a sad one to others.  Please. We don’t see this as a tragedy. We see this story as a beautiful gift. We see Rowan as beautiful and wonderful and the best thing that has happened to us. That is how we want his story told and remembered.

And then the standard things that you should never tell anyone when a loved one has died:

1.) God has a plan

2.) I know how you feel

3.) You guys need to get out of town for a while OR You guys need to take some time to grieve OR You should go back to work soon OR You should do this OR that.  (However, when we tell you what we plan on doing you may absolutely nod, encourage, pat us on the back, or tell us that you think it’s a wonderful idea…even if you don’t)

We know all of you want to be loving and helpful.  We know what truly amazing support we have.  We just wanted to help all of you know how best to support us.

24 comments:

  1. Am so glad Rowan was comfortable and got to spend his last days with his loving family at home. I am so touched by the way you listened to Rowan and always let his needs guide your decisions. I feel fortunate to have gotten to take care of Rowan in the hospital a few times and had the opportunity to meet you and your husband. He was a beautiful baby boy and appreciate you sharing his story and your experiences in such an honest way. Lit a candle for Rowan tonight and am thinking of you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have never met and I only know your story because my husband was one of the Spirit Song group who sang for your family & especially Rowan. But I've been privileged to have my candle lit since you first asked for that. What a beautiful inspiration you have been for me, a monumental lesson in acceptance of "what is". Your love & wisdom & sharing remind me of what is good and God-like in our world. The memories you've created with Rowan are priceless. I feel blessed by your story & wish you peace & happiness. Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful family...what a beautiful son...what a beautiful life...what a beautiful new beginning....may God's hand hold you all together....like the invisible string. Beautiiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful life little Rowan led. You don't know me, but someone on TB posted for T&Ps for you and I read your blog. My daughter Addison was diagnosed with HRHS last September, about a month after Rowan. We were not as brave as you and did not carry her to term. Thank you for sharing Rowan's life with the world. It really made me understand what we would have gone through and I felt like I could experience this through you, if that makes sense. I know I couldn't have been as strong as you. You are amazing. My heart breaks for Rowan, just as it would have for my own daughter. I wish your family all the best in the world. I will never forget Rowan's story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Our thoughts & prayers are with you during this time. Rowan was the luckiest boy in the world, to spend his life with a mom, dad and sister that loved him more than anything else and kept him comforted and safe as best they could. We wish you comfort & strength in the days ahead. There won't be a day that goes by that Rowan won't be a part of - a rainbow, a shooting star - you'll know he's always around. I have a very special friend in Heaven, I'll have him keep an eye on your precious boy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I only came across your story in the last week, someone was telling me about it on an online forum, but I've been so touched reading Rowan's story. He was truly a brave boy and is an amazing inspiration for what courage is. Your joy in his life is amazing. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your story has really taught me to be a better mother to my children. To be patient, and kind, and to laugh instead of yell so much. Rowans bravery and happiness can be felt just by looking at your photos you have posted, reminding me just how amazing children are. Children are gifts, and you have reminded me of that. Thank you all. That is what I think of when i think of Rowan.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fantastic and amazing spirit, Rowan! He blessed your family in his short time on Earth with so many gifts. I am delighted to have known him and am a better person, physician, and mother because of him. His sweet spirit resides in my heart and everytime I think of him I will smile at the thought he was placed with such a perfect family. Rowan's story and spirit will continue.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't know you or your family (I heard about precious Rowan on The Bump), but through your blog, I learned about and was touched by his life.
    Because of Rowan, I prayed for the first time in a decade.
    Because of Rowan, I have even more appreciation for life and family.
    Because of Rowan, I see that strength and grace come in even the tiniest of packages.
    Because of Rowan, I was inspired to donate to the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation.
    Warmest wishes for peace and love,
    Stephanie
    -

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think its safe to say that we all, friends family and us strangers are the lucky ones who got to spend time with, or just reading about this gift from God named Rowan. He chose his family well....God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I only found out about Rowan's story a few days ago, but you all have been a constant presence in my heart ever since. I just wanted to thank you for sharing this precious boy with the world. I don't think there's anyone who has read this blog and not been deeply touched and humbled by your strength and love for this beautiful baby. It is a reminder to cherish every moment we have with our loved ones. Rowan's light, and the love you all have for him, will never be extinguished. Prayers for peace and comfort always.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I will be thinking of you. Grief is such a hard road to travel. And you are right, everyone handles it differently. I hope that your reminder list will make people remember to talk about Rowan. I'm sure he's having a blast with Oakes in heaven and all his other friends who might be there. Much love to you all.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't know your family but I heard about Rowan on a bump message board. I just wanted to let you know that I was so touched by Rowan's story and read each single post and your family and him have been in my thoughts ever since. I lit a candle for Rowan and prayed for peace for your sweet family. I was inspired to cherish every moment with my family as I have seen your family has done. Thinking of you-A.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you so much for sharing Rowan with all of us! We will be thinking of all of you and sending well wishes your way.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for sharing Baby Rowan's life with all of us. Thank you for showing us all what love is. I am forever changed for knowing about him and your love for him.
    God Bless~

    ReplyDelete
  16. I had the pleasure of taking care of your precious boy at SLCH. I was sad to hear of his passing, but happy to read he left this world in the most beautiful and peaceful way. Thank you for sharing his story. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Prayers of continued peace and comfort. Your story has changed me for the better. Im inspired by how beautiful of a family you are and even though I havent experienced what you have, I want to strive to be like you.
    God Bless you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I will be thinking and praying for you as you are now entering life as your new self. I too lost a son named Gavin. I say my life is split in to two time periods: Before Gavin and After His Death.I will be praying you find strength as you enter this new life. I am so sorry for your loss. Thank you for sharing the story of your beautiful son Rowan with us.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I also heard about your precious Rowan on The Bump. I've come back over the past several days looking for updates on your little man. I've caught myself thinking of him throughout the day.

    Friday will mark the 2 year anniversary of my daughter's passing. She was also born with CHD (Pulmonary Atresia and Hypoplastic Right Heart). I miss her every day but I, too, am extremely grateful for the 26 wonderful days we had to spend with her.

    Hoping for peace and comfort for your family at this difficult time.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I, too, heard about your precious Rowan on The Bump. I shall never forget his story, for it touched me deeply. In remembrance of his beautiful little life, I've lit a heart shaped candle.

    My thoughts and prayers are with you all.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I heard about your story on The Bump as a fellow December 2011 mommy. Your story is one of the most touching and inspiring I have ever read. You define being a good mother both in your strength and ability to sense exactly what was best for Rowan and the honesty and respect in which you have helped your daughter through this journey. Not to mention, I love your writing style! You really could write a book.

    Your story and Rowan's life has changed me for the better. I am a better mother following the model you have made of recognizing children are not less human just because they aren't adults and deserve the same honesty, respect and dignity. Because of Rowan, I will always unapologetically fight for what is best for my children. Because of Rowan I know so much more about cystic fibrosis and will be donating to CFF in his name. Because of Rowan I will take pleasure in the sweet, fleeting moments that string together a childhood like family room car rides, movie night and cuddle time. I will think of Rowan when I see a candle burning - a small sign that his bright light still shines in the legacy he leaves.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm a biochemical medical researcher and I would like you to know that stories like yours make me realize why I'm doing what I am. When I think about how difficult it is to make these medical treatments work and when I get frustrated I will think of Rowan, and he and children like him will get me out of that rut and back to work so we can find a cure for things like cystic fibrosis. Thank you for sharing your story, and God bless.

    <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for helping shape futures for children like our son so they can have their happy endings much longer down the road than his 7 months. We hope that he does get you out of your ruts when they come, he did that for us plenty of times with his amazing smile.

      - Doc

      Delete
  23. I am thinking of you all. I am so happy you feel blessed through all of this. You are courage and strentgh to many. So glad you got to enjoy your wonderful son. I am praying for peace for you as I hold my December baby close. God bless you

    ReplyDelete